Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Commuters


I haven't been much of a commuter lately, due to the recession my part time day job has become an almost no time day job so I have been taking later trains when going into the city. What I've come to notice on the odd days I do the commute will surprise no one but it struck me again anyway. On the way to work or on the way home, people are either asleep or miserable. Take these two for example, he's out and she looks like .... well you know. The things we do to survive in New York, running to stand still.

8 comments:

emikk said...

Living just enough for the city?

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

Really great sketch. I empathize with your sitters. Although I drive to work, I know that drained out feeling after fighting traffic for an hour.

Sarah said...

Great sketches. Yes, reading is important too, something has to give. I haven't watched more than 3-4 hours of television in as many years. Although some people do some great sketching from the box.

Unknown said...

Maybe she's unhappy about the way his big puffy jacket is impeding into her personal space. Great capture.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

The misery on the woman's face struck me immediately! I love the contrast between the two faces.

Larry said...

My guess,...daylight savings time. Take away one hour and we all turn into zombies.

Nice drawing BTW.

Stephen Gardner said...

I'm back off to work this morning so maybe I can get a first hand look at some more misery.

Cheism said...

Ita the same on the Underground in London, you get lots of sleepy heads especially on monday mornings!