Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Killers Of Cimarron



Last week I posted a sketch for the Book cover "Killers Of Cimarron". The art director chose sketch "D" so over the next few days I'm going to be posting a kind of step by step of the how the painting went. The top image is my drawing and a wash of Marigold Yellow gouache paint, I start most of my paintings this way giving myself a mid tone on which to work. The second image is a very broad indication of the "color story". This painting was done a little faster than I like to work because I only found out on Friday that they needed a finish on Monday. The time between these two images was about 4 hours. Tomorrow you'll see the next stage.

5 comments:

Hans Jenssen Illustration said...

I'd call that finished and go to the pub! To answer your comment on my blog, you could include the Culm Valey Inn in your book of New York bars.... Not strictly within the city limits but worth a detour.

Unknown said...

I find it so interesting that one of the best modern day Western Artists in our country is a transplanted Brit. You're the best!

Stephen Gardner said...

Hans, I think I could make an exception for such a noble house of ale thus making my pilgrimage a legitimate business trip, I like it.

Sheila, yes I'm a bloody limey and thanks again.

Arti said...

Your work is execptional, Stephen...Can't wait to see the 'finished' version!

Stephen Gardner said...

Thanks Arti, I hope you'll be back on Friday to see the final version.